Saturday 14 July 2012

Auction Day - I lose my iPhone - and trace it again

An early start today as we were delivering a chest of drawers to a buyer in Bucks. before going on to a big auction of antique furniture in Hertfordshire. This entails lots of essential close inspections of whats available, determining what one would really like and having a contingency list in the event of  not being successful in our first choice. Bidding is fast and furious and it is all too easy to end up with something that requires alot of work if it isnt inspected carefully beforehand.

It is also important to see the potential of a piece. While 'brown' furniture is no longer popular it is still solidly made and is often of far better quality than a modern day reproduction. Frequently, the detail to these pieces will be enhanced when painted and contributes to the overall transformation of an otherwise dull item of furniture.

Once the auction had drawn to an end at about 3.30pm, all that was left to do was to load it all on to our Transit sized van. I always maintain this part of our work is what keeps me fit and, besides, is cheaper than annual gym membership!

After much debate as to whether we could load it all on to our van, I had to admit defeat. We will have to go back tomorrow to collect the rest.

To cap it all, I found my iphone was missing. After enquiries in the office and phoning it on Mike's phone, we realised it was not within earshot and had not been handed in. I immediately remembered the Where's my iPhone app installed on Mike's phone and actually identified where it was - travelling in a Northerly direction. Thanks to the app, I was able to lock the phone and only then, realised how much of our lives we lay bear on our mobiles.

After several calls to my own number, I finally got a reply and was able to assess that a member of the public at the auction had decided, having found it, to take it home with them rather than hand it in.  Once locked, it could be of no use to them and I was able to reclaim it after driving to their house. Decided this app is essential for all iphone users.

No pics to this blog today. Sorry! Got home late and after a hot bath, was glad to relax with a couple of G & T's. Settled down this evening to watch the DVD, The Lady, the true story of Aung San Suu Kyi, the woman who was at the core of the Burmese Peace Movement. - A little known but excellent film.

Lots to work on and restore to their resplendent best over the next couple of weeks. Watch this space!

No comments:

Post a Comment